The Collection includes documents related to the heterogeneous activities of the Governo Marittimo ("Central-Seebehörde" in German), based in Trieste. The Governo Marittimo was created in 1850 by the Austrian Ministry of Commerce as the central maritime authority of the Empire, in charge of the control over the entire Austrian coastline. The institution was responsible for all the affairs related to the merchant marine, including: shipbuilding, maritime health, ships classification, fishery, maritime laws and regulations, exams and licenses, statistical data related to maritime traffic. The Governo Marittimo was abolished in 1923.
The Collection is organized in two series: Atti presidiali (150 items) and Archivio Generale (1659 items).