The Arxiu Històric de Tarragona was created in 1944 as the Arxiu Històric Provincial, for many years it shared staff and location with the Biblioteca Provincial. From 1981 its management passed to the Generalitat de Catalunya and is part of the County Archives Network and acts as the Tarragonès County Archive.
The Archive is responsible for collecting, preserving and making available to the citizens the historical, administrative and personal documentation in the area of the province of Tarragona. It has a capacity of 5,400 linear meters of shelving, distributed over seven floors of the documentary storage, to which one must add 1,900 linear meters of the auxiliary storage space.
The AHT currently holds 183 documentary funds, including collections. They come from a large part of the peripheral state administration. It stands out the fund of the Civil Government with the important series of Associations of all the Tarragona municipalities (1849-1982): in this series you can find a wide representation of the societies of fishermen, sailors and other industries of the sea in the province of Tarragona.