It was one of the first nautical college to be established in Europe. The Academy was founded on the will of the Empress Maria Theresa in 1754 in order to train the Officers of the Austrian Imperial Navy. It had dignity of Kaiserlich und Königlich (Imperial and Royal) school. From 1895 it was divided into two separate sections: commerce and nautical sciences. The Academy was suppressed in 1923. The two sections were then transformed respectively in a commercial institute and in a nautical institute.
The archive consists of 273 items (registers and boxes).
The boxes 1-138, 233 and 269-273 contain documentation of administrative and educational nature.
This documentation is organized according to the progressive registration number. Until 1866 there are two orders of registration numbers: registration numbers for incoming documents (Eingegangen) and registration numbers for outgoing documents (Ausgegangen). From 1866
onwards there is only one order of registration number. The level of archival description is extremely superficial. For this documentation, the inventory provides only the chronological details and the progressive registration number.